Kaizen Institute - Success Story
Energy - Oil Sands
One of the worldâ€™s largest producers of crude oil from the Canadian Oil Sands.
Our client needed to reduce the duration of their 2018 maintenance turnaround. The event was budgeted at $365M and scheduled to last 59 days, with 5.000 â€“ 6.000 personnel estimated throughout the event.
- Lessons learned from past turnaround events were not taken advantage of, events were managed in a reactive fashion and lessons were re-discovered during current events
- Inadequate use of techniques to complete tasks faster, lack of breakthrough ideas in changing the way of working, insufficient cost analysis in defining deliverables (replace versus inspect & replace)
- Training on Value Stream Mapping (VSM) to the turnaround team
- Selection of critical equipment from all the units (integrated plan)
- Current state mapping based on the last turnaround for the major critical paths to identify value added & non-value added activities
- Root Cause Analysis for the identified improvement opportunities and the lessons learned from past turnaround events
- Future state mapping with an improvised plan for 2018 turnaround and additional reduction in future turnarounds
- Turnaround duration reduced from 59 days planned originally, to 48 days
- 1M barrel of increased production due to reduction in turnaround days will result to a saving of $80M